I noticed that Jamie Oliver provides vegan recipes on his website. I don’t watch TV or cooking shows, but this makes him the coolest celebrity chef. Unlike that irritating Gordon Ramsay, I hate him.
Anyway… Yesterday I tried mac ‘n’ cheese and I can honestly tell it was the best god damn mac ‘n’ cheese I have ever tasted! Instant favorite! (This is actually not much coming from my mouth, as I have never tasted mac ‘n’ cheese before, always wanted though.)
And this is first dish I have cooked totally without electricity, yay!
Original recipe: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/vegan-mac-n-cheese/
- 400 g dried macaroni
- 1 onion, chopped
- 0,75 l unsweetened soy milk
- 100 g dairy free margarine
- 85 g flour
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1,5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 50 g vegan cheese, grated
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced finely
- half a bunch of thyme, leaves picked
- olive oil
- 40 g dried breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Cook macaroni.
- Place the onion and milk in a small pan.
- Bring to boil, remove from the heat.
- Separate onion from the milk and set both aside for a while.
- Melt the margarine in another pan over medium heat.
- Add flour, stirring continuously until it forms a paste.
- Add warm milk a little at a time, whisking continuously until smooth.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the mustard, nutritional yeast flakes and cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add macaroni and onions to the sauce, mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and set aside.
- Add oil, garlic and thyme to frying pan.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle over pasta.
- Place the dish in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling.